Pages

Saturday 29 April 2023

There's No Place Like Home

Yesterday was a long day. Packing, airport check in, a final pint and a bite of lunch


and then the long flight to Toronto followed by a ridiculously chaotic arrival at Pearson. Too many people with "jobs" directing and misdirecting us, others "checking our paperwork, but really barely glancing at it" and finally the wait to get our luggage. 

I picked up the car and immediately went in search of a decent cup of coffee before the drive home in rush hour traffic. 


The necessary travel at the beginning of the trip seemed far more manageable. Even with a lengthy delay. Perhaps it was the excitement of the trip itself. Perhaps it was that I wasn't as tired. But more importantly, I think it was because, yesterday, I just wanted to be home. There really is no place like home. Back to some sort of routine - even if that routine is simply walking or feeding the dogs. No need to figure out transportation or admission fees or manage admission times. No new historic information to take in, process or retain. I was so ready. 

This trip has been amazing. Travel really is the best form of education. We learn about other cultures, we learn about their history, their food, their celebrations and the things that formed the people in those countries or counties. We learn to appreciate the natural beauty of a new place. It makes us feel more connected. 

I am grateful for the opportunity to travel. I am grateful that I am healthy enough to travel. I am particularly grateful for medical science that allowed me to be able to walk for miles each day and ascend and descend countless flights of stairs. Just a few short weeks ago, none of this would have been possible and I would have missed out on so much. 

Being in Ireland strengthened my love for the people of my homeland. While we may share a sense of humour, the Irish seem far crankier than the Scots. Not the least bit helpful with tourists. The hospitality sector were fantastic. The locals, the bus drivers and the average resident not so much. 

Now to process all that I have learned. About Scotland. About Ireland. About connecting. I look forward to finding ways to share what I have learned and I am particularly looking forward to making the scrapbooks to remind me of my wonderful trip across the sea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment