Pages

Thursday 27 April 2023

Final Day as a Tourist in Dublin

Today was my last day in Dublin. And my last day to see the sights or learn the history. My first point of interest today was the Museum of Archaeology. This is part of the National Museum of Ireland. It is much smaller than the National Museum of Scotland but the building is every bit as grand. And the exhibits are well laid out. 

I started out in the Prehistoric Ireland hall

                                                 Reconstructed Chambered Burial Cairn 

                                                Dugout boat made from a single oak tree

Then I moved through to the Archaeology hall. My main interests were the archaeology uncovered from the wetlands and bogs

                                                                             Trews

                                                                            Jacket and hat

                                            Shoe - this was just one of several shoes on display

Being in the bogs helps to preserve whatever item is buried therein, as can be seen in these remarkable examples of clothing. 

and in this remarkably well preserved body that had been buried for over 500 years.

I was also interested in seeing the displays on Viking Ireland 

                                                        typical Viking Ireland home 

                                Recreation of what a typical Viking village would have looked like

                                                                                  Boat

From the museum I walked back over the river to Custom House Quay to take a tour of the Jeanie Johnston Famine Ship. This was a fantastic tour and chalk full of information on the great hunger, the treatment of peasants and the ships that took the emigrants across the Atlantic. 


The original Jeanie Johnston was built in Quebec by a Scotsman and then purchased by an Irishman, Nicolas Donovan. 


It made 16 trips across the Atlantic transporting Irish emigrants to Canada and the US (80% of the trips were to Canada) and, remarkably, not one passenger perished. 




After the tour, it was time for some sustenance, so I made my way across the street to Urban Brew. 


I was so hungry that I didn't get a chance to take a photo of the main course! But dessert was scrumptious. Absolute Heaven on a plate. Chocolate cake with white chocolate cream and crushed pistachios. 




After lunch I had a tour of the Customs House. Another fascinating walk through history. Then it was time to call it. I was finished being a tourist. I headed back to the B&B and enjoyed some down time, away from the throngs of people. 

The trip has been amazing but I am ready to be home. I fly out tomorrow afternoon. 






No comments:

Post a Comment