Pages

Friday 16 September 2022

Free Day Friday

Today we all had a free day in Kirkwall. Each person was free to do what they wished. Distillery tours, genealogy research, shopping, sightseeing. 

I wanted to see the witches memorial so popped into the Visitor Information Centre to get a map and a point in the right direction. 


Then I popped into the visitor centre for St Magnus Cathedral and watched a fascinating movie about St Magnus, the saint, as well as St Magnus the Cathedral. 

I went into the Cathedral to see the memorial to John Rae, but first I took the opportunity to sign the book of condolence for Her Majesty the Queen. 


The memorial to John Rae is at the front of the nave. His grave stone is in the kirkyard. 





I paid a quick visit to the Orkney Museum, then met up with a couple of others in the group. We finished off our time together with a wonderful dinner at Hamnavoe, a seafood restaurant in Stromness. 











No comments:

Post a Comment