Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2022

Edinburgh, My Favourite City

On Tuesday morning, after a quick breakfast, I headed to Central Station and took the train to Edinburgh. 

On arriving at Waverley, I dropped my case at the luggage drop and headed up to the National Museum. The hike up Cockburn Street damn near killed me. There are no hills to speak of where I live. 




I specifically wanted to see the new exhibit, Anatomy: A Matter of Life and Death. I have to say, this was very well done. In addition to the exhibits of artefacts and storyboards, there were holographic images projected onto the walls. These were very atmospheric and showed life in Edinburgh in the early 19th century, bringing the whole exhibit to life. 

Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed because of the displays of human anatomy. I was hoping that the shop would have had postcards that could have been used for the blog post, but instead, the emphasis was on the glossy book that was rather overpriced at £14.99, so I gave it a miss. I have long been fascinated by the story of Burke and Hare, so there was no need to purchase anything that was going to tell me what I already knew. As well, I have visited the Anatomical Museum on more than one occasion and their brains and Burke's skeleton are on display there. 

The skeleton was part of the National Museum's exhibit and I was once again aware of just what a wee, seemingly unimposing wee man we was. 

From the Museum, I headed back down to Princes Street where I met up with Margaret Fox for a very enjoyable lunch and catch-up at the Guildford Arms. After our meal, we wandered along Princes Street Gardens, and as we were ordering our coffees, the heavens opened up. We sat under a tree listening to the thunder before heading off to our respective forms of transportation. 

Then it was along to visit family. With the pandemic, I have not seen them for three years and it truly was incredible to catch up with them. Family is everything. 

Then it was along the road to my B&B for some much needed kip before heading out again tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. I came home with a limp. My arthritic knee does not like Scotland. The same think happened last time !

    ReplyDelete