Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2022

East Lothian

Today I ventured into East Lothian. I started with a trip to Prestonpans. Prestonpans is about 8 miles east of Edinburgh. It was Preston is for Priest Town. The monks of Holyrood and Newbattle moved into the area in the late 12th century. They mined for salt along the seashore, and thus the "pans" was added to Preston. 

Salt panning was a major industry in Prestonpans as was coal mining and brickworks. 



The mercat cross is the original one, erected in 1617. It is still situated where it was erected. 


Another historic building is Hamilton House, or Magdelen's House. This was known as the Laird's House which was built in 1628 for John Hamilton, Lord Magdelen and Senator of the College of Justice. 


Prestonpans was the site of a battle as part of the Jacobite Cause. The battlefield is on the edge of the town. There is a memorial cairn as well as storyboards about the battle. 

From Prestonpans, I moved down to Haddington where I will be for two nights. I am staying in a wee lodge outside of town and my nearest neighbours are heilan coos. Very peaceful.



No comments:

Post a Comment