Pages

Monday 26 September 2022

Museum of Rural Life

On Sunday, we went into East Kilbride to visit the Museum of Rural Life. My mother's father was a dairyman and mum and her many siblings were raised on various farms between the Borders and Lanarkshire. I love social history museums because they provide "a window into the life of..." in a way we might not otherwise have. 



I know the stories of life on the farm, but can't really visualize the ins and outs. So seeing some of the milking equipment in the display case, the set up of the living area of the house, and the photos of the various chores helped to deepen my understanding. 



One of the things I particularly liked, was the museum advertising its "store" They openly acknowledge that they can't display everything, but are happy for you to contact them and ask to see something that might be of interest to your own family.



For instance, when I return in April, I will make an appointment to go and visit some of the specifics in the store to do with dairy farming and/or domestic service. 




No comments:

Post a Comment