Pages

Saturday 25 May 2019

Ancestral Tourism Fosters Kinship



One of the lovely by-products of an ancestral tour is the kinship. In almost every single group I have led, two strangers leave as friends, and remain friends long after the tour ends. They share research stories, life stories and support each other in ways I never could have imagined. 

I, too, have been incredibly blessed by kinship. Tour participants return on future tours or return to Scotland on their own and contact me to share their experiences. They have become friends and I never could have imagined how enriched my life has become as a result. 

We are all kin in that we are part of the larger Scottish diaspora. We are kin because we share a hunger to uncover as much as we can about our Scottish ancestors and to embrace our Scottish heritage. And we are kin because we have shared time together in our ancestral homeland. Researching, sightseeing, learning and bonding. 

I truly do have the best job in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment