Pages

Friday 10 May 2019

A Day in Glasgow

I arrived in Glasgow at 8:30 in the morning and my next flight out was at 4:30. Of course with customs, baggage claim, and then check in and security on the other end, I was left with about 6 hours. I took the airport bus into town to run a few errands for the upcoming Glasgow tour, then made my way over to Shields Road to visit the Scotland Street School Museum.

I arrived at the opening bell along with a classroom of school kids. The lady at reception suggested I start my tour on the top floor and work my way down so that I would be going against the flow of the students.

On the top floor are classrooms set up for various time periods to show what school would have been like during that time. First up was the old Victorian Classroom. A staff member, dressed like a school marm, was preparing for the arrival of the school group. And in true school marm form, was quite miserable.





Next up was the WWII Classroom.



Instructions in the event of an air raid

Enough gas masks for each student in the classroom

the Dunce Cap

A child sized gas mask






Then the Cookery Classroom. This room taught domestic skills, not just cooking. 









The second floor had the boys and girls cloak rooms where students coming to visit could go and dress like the kids in the victorian time period. It also had rooms that were more of a museum and showed parts of the life of the school. And a separate room was dedicated to Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the architect of the school. 

Mum dragging son to school

playtime


The Jannie


School Nurse

Gym equipment

Boys Work 


Wringer washer

The headmaster


Headmaster's Desk
Girls cloakroom


About Charles Rennie Mackintosh


Architectural drawing of the school


The school has some magnificent lead glass windows. Of particular interest are the windows on the third floor with portraits of students in each pane








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the interesting notes and photos of the School Street School Museum. As a retired teacher I especially enjoyed hearing about your visit there. The School Museum is now high on my list for my next visit to Scotland!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete