Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2015

History Gets Recorded in Newspapers

Yesterday I spent the day at the Ontario Archives. Since I have no Canadian ancestors, I decided to use my time trawling old newspapers.

I LOVE old newspapers. I love the writing style, the sense of the social norms, the things that became the news of the day. Things that today would be splashed across the front pages are usually found in small little boxes in among the ads.

And oh the treasure trove of genealogical information that can be gleaned from those dusty, brittle old pages.

One that actually made me laugh out loud was this man's notice that he was no longer going to be financially responsible for his former wife:



It reads:

THANK GOD my wife Susan has left my bed and board without the least cause or provocation, therefore this is to forbid all persons harbouring or trusting her on my account, as I will pay no debts of her contracting.

Wonder what Susan had been up to that prompted her to leave, and of course, what became of her after she left the marriage.

Of particular interest are the rather lengthy lists of names published under the column of "List of Letter" that were not picked up from the post office. 



And perhaps the best thing of all, is being able to see history unfold. Here is a list of people who were in support of the Confederation Bill, which had just passed its second reading in parliament. The Confederation Bill, of course, was the union of Upper and Lower Canada as one country, to be known as the Dominion of Canada, 

Interestingly, the new country was originally to be known as the "Kingdom of Canada", but our neighbours to the South were quite uneasy with that notion, so the name of the new country was changed to "Dominion of Canada"

Here's the list of supporters of the Bill:


No comments:

Post a Comment