Pages

Sunday 15 March 2020

Self Isolation Doesn't Need to Mean SOCIAL Isolation

We have been asked to stay in and to avoid gatherings. The size of the gatherings depends on the community in which we live. But self isolation doesn't need to mean social isolation. Many people who are retired are conscious of the need to stay active, to stay socially engaged in order to hold depression and even dementia at bay. Knowing we can't right now is heightening anxiety which then may lead to the very things we are trying to keep ahead of. 

I was scheduled for two conferences in April. My schedule has now been completely cleared thanks to cancellations. That, too, has provided me with a unique opportunity. I subscribe to GoToWebinar and have for a number of years. I have, in the past, on a case by case basis, partnered with societies to be the host of a webinar so that they can provide a virtual presentation without having to invest in a platform. This has also allowed them to have speakers for their groups or societies that they might not otherwise be able to afford. It is cheaper to pay the speaker fee  than to pay their fee, their travel, their accommodations, their meals etc. And that makes having them present much more affordable for societies. 

If you are a member of a society that is wondering about programming while we are all being asked to self isolate, I am offering the same to you. Free of charge from my end. You find the speaker and pay them. You, the speaker and I agree to a time. I set up the links and send out the registration information. And at the agreed on time, I run the webinar so that you and your society/group can watch the presentation of your speaker. 

I am also aware that some of you are members of societies where many in your group aren't very skilled with technology and will feel overwhelmed by this. I am also aware that it doesn't have to be that way, and I am open to giving a presentation to your society to help those members feel more comfortable with the web. I will, in an email, walk them through the registration process. Then during my presentation we will look at the free resources that are out there that can be accessed to keep their learning up, to help them fill the time and to help them feel a little less isolated. 

If you are interested in taking me up on either offer, please check my availability HERE then contact me to set things up. (Yes, I literally have the entire month open!)

ps: I am also available to BE the speaker. If you have an interest in having me be your presenter, check the calendar above, send me an email and we can work together to keep your members actively learning. Here are my current topics: https://www.genealogytoursofscotland.ca/looking-for-a-speaker-.html










No comments:

Post a Comment