Pages

Thursday 2 January 2020

No Resolutions, Just a List



I don't DO resolutions. I have never done well with goal setting. Goals seem so clinical to me. Maybe because they were such an integral part of my work over 35+ years.

But I do like lists. When I was working I would make a list of things to get done today, this week and this month. And I would work my way through them. In a world of social services where so much of our impact is unseen, these lists were like widgets and I could actually see I was making progress.

My list for 2020 is fairly simple:

Organize my photos. As most of you will know I use Forever storage for my photos, documents and videos. It is a good fit for me as a genealogist. I can organize everything into albums, keep them safe and secure (and not deteriorating) for future generations and share as I choose. I set the privacy and I maintain copyright. That said, I need to work my way through adding descriptors to my photos so that future generations will understand why I saved the photos and why they are important.


I plan to make more photo books. These are a great way to share with others. They evoke memories, which in turn results in stories being shared. They also evoke emotion because of the feelings associated with the photos.
Photo books can also be a way of sharing why we have held onto artifacts. My mother saved nothing. I was over the top when it came to saving things for my kids. My daughter recently purchased a house and so is about to inherit her "treasure box" I have created a photo book to explain some of the things in her treasure box and why they are important enough to have been saved. I have given her permission to rid herself of anything she doesn't want to keep but she will still have a record of those treasures in the photo book.


In 2020 I plan to create books for the things I have in my china cabinets that have been saved for a generation or two.

Also on my list is working to add more information to the "notes" section of my family tree software. I have the notes in hard copy but I want to add that into my tree so that the stories will be carried forward.

What about YOU? What things are on your To-Do list for 2020?


No comments:

Post a Comment