Pages

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Registering and Researching

RootsTech doesn't officially start until tomorrow. So, we decided to head over to the Family History Library today. But first, we went to the Salt Palace to register for RootsTech. 

Our Canadian Contingent selfie as Team CanGen poses in front of Salt Palace

Team CanGen: Christine Woodcock, 
Mike Quackenbush and Kathryn Lake Hogan

Salt Palace Convention Centre. Home of RootsTech


It was great running into a number of our genea-buddies today in the Salt Palace. Looking forward to spending more time with them over the week. 

After we registered and mingled, it was over to the Family History Centre to do some research. 


I decided to have a look at what was available for Scotland. I knew in advance that the FHL has some information on sasines. It turns out to be indexes. I chose the burgh of Lanarkshire where the majority of my ancestors were from. As happens, my eyes were drawn to the entries for Haddows. My paternal line. I know my Haddows had land back when. Easterseat, to be exact. In Carluke. John Haddow was a portioner of Carluke. I have looked high and low for information on Easterseat. Never any reference. I had all but given up. However.....TODAY.....




I found John Haddow, portioner of Easterseat in the Sasine Registers Index for Lanarkshire!!!



OH WOW!! What an amazing find. And what an amazing feeling! I was so excited I had to share. Thankful to the lovely volunteer in the British Isles Dept today who was nice enough to not only listen, but share my excitement!!

Now I can't wait to get to Edinburgh in May and get tucked into the Sasine records. I know exactly what ones I need to ask for, having found them today in the indexes!

No comments:

Post a Comment