Pages

Saturday 8 December 2012

Giving the Gift of Memories

I remember as a teen, my "aunt" opening up a gift on Christmas. It was a china mug and her response was "just what I need - another dust collector" While her comment seemed callous at the time, I soon came to realize that after a certain age, gifts become less meaningful.

There comes a time when we all realize that after we are gone, the only thing that will remain are the memories that we have created and with that in mind, I always strive to give meaningful gifts to my elderly aunts, uncles, cousins, friends. Everyone looks forward to the annual heritage calendars. Other gifts that have been meaningful have included heritage scrapbooks, family recipe books (along with memories about the items contained within), or DVDs of old photos or home movies.

It can even be as simple as an old, treasured photograph, scrapbooked in a frame that creates the warmth and wonder of the memories associated with it.

Give some thought to the elder people (or the genealogy-minded) in your family or friendship circles and help to re-create fond memories for them this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment