Pages

Saturday 7 May 2011

Granny Mack & Geordie

Well the 1911 census for Scotland is finally available. Have heard lots of horror stories of people having a hard time finding their ancestors because of the way the search is set up. However, I decided to give it a try.
We know that Harry married Sarah Costello in 1913 and Granny Mack married Geordie in 1912, so I figured it shouldn’t be too hard to find where they were staying in 1911. I was right. They were in a miners row known as Bothwellshields. First I have ever seen
reference to it. It is in the district of Shotts.
Interestingly all 4 sons were reported as being at home, however, when Harry was 8, he was listed as being home as well, although in reality he was with his uncle, where he also shows on the 1901 census. I guess Granny Mack wanted to ensure he was counted!
What I didn't expect to find on the 1911 census was that Granny & Geordie were residing together, listed as man and wife AND the two claim to have been married for 6 years! The old scoundrels!!


No comments:

Post a Comment