Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2022

Today is National Hot Tea Day.

 


Tea is an amazing beverage. It is warm. It is soothing. It is calming. And it is often at the centre of long conversations at the kitchen table, around the fireplace or even in a café.

Whenever anyone dropped by, the kettle was put on and a pot of tea was made. Usually mum had a sweet to go along with it. Problems were solved, plans were made, friendships were cemented and memories were both shared and made. All over a pot of tea.

My children were tea grannies from a young age. My aunts introduced them to it. Usually a splotch of tea and sugar and topped with warm milk. As they aged, the amount of milk was reduced until they were actually drinking tea. When my daughter was three, my aunt sent her a china tea set. That tea set was used often. Blankets spread on the carpet, tea and cookies enjoyed and imaginations unleashed. We held a teddy bear tea and each friend was invited to bring their favourite teddy bear to join us for an afternoon cuppa.

After my mum and her sisters came to Canada, they would send care packages home to my gran. Sweets, clothing, photos and a letter. And anything else she had requested. Following one package being sent, mum didn’t hear from Gran that the parcel had been received. Curious, she asked about it during a Sunday phone call:

Ma, did you get the last parcel I sent?

Aye.

Was it alright?

Aye but next time dinnae send me they stupit wee packets o tea. Too me oors te get the tea oot fer a decent cuppa.

Apparently Gran was unfamiliar with tea bags!


No comments:

Post a Comment