Pages

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - Symbolism

During my visit last year to the Glasgow Necropolis, I was taken by the symbolism in the monuments. Of course there were the standard ones (Celtic):




But others were less obvious in their meaning. Like these ones, for example:



While these two appear to have been vandalized, they were, in fact, planned this way. The symbolism here is that the person for whom the monument was erected was "cut down in the prime of his life" One being only 37 at the time of his death!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen those monuments before and never understood the significance of the shortened post. Makes perfect sense now that I've read your blog. I have a question - about Clan Carmichael. My grandmother's family came to NS in the 1790's from
    Abelor, Banff. Yet the Clan itself is in Lanark, which is Lowland Scot. Would the Carmichael's from Banff be considered Highland Scots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, being from Abelour they certainly could be considered Highland Scots.

    ReplyDelete