Pages

Friday 4 November 2011

Creating Memories - Random Acts of Kindness

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day. At a certain point in your life you become aware that creating memories is really what "it" is all about. After all, once we leave for our trip to the great beyond, all that is left for our loved ones (aka descendants) are the memories that we have created with them. These are the stories we hope will be shared with future generations. The traditions we hope will be passed along as "I remember when Grandma and I..."

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day. I grew up with the very firm belief that "There but for the Grace of God Go I" Life changes in an eyeblink. And not always for the better. If not for God's grace, we could be in the circumstances of those we share this world with. Those we hopefully don't feel pity for, but rather, those we want to assist in finding life a better place to be. I believe we are born to be our brother's keeper to the best extent that we can. I have tried to instill in my children the understanding that others are no different from us. Only their circumstances are different. That's why I have taught them the importance of service. And have been richly rewarded this past month with both of them being recognized for their caring and commitment to others through their volunteering.

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day. Not one to miss the opportunity to grasp a teachable moment (my cousin always thought I would have been great at home schooling, but honestly, when would I ever get a break if they were home ALL DAY???), I rose early to bake a batch of shortbread. Warmly wrapped and smelling heavenly, we gathered our treats and headed off to say thank you to some of the service providers in our community. The paramedics, the police and the firefighters.

The service providers were genuinely thrilled to have been thought of. We had a great laugh en route to the three stations as we created very special memories together. The kids quicky decided I should be the spokesperson and they would be the gift bearers. No one in their schools was aware it was a special day. My day went to hell in a handbasket later on, but that was completely irrelevant. Years from now, our magic morning will be talked about around the dinner table by my children and their children and.....well, you get the idea. And memories will have been created and left behind for those who will crave clinging to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment