Pages

Sunday 1 September 2024

The Watery Grave - Torryburn

 I have been staying with aunts since I arrived in Scotland. They live in “my neighbourhood. I took a walk to the local grocery store a couple of days ago. One block from my aunt’s house is my Granny’s house. Another block further along is the house where the family lived when I was born and where I spent the first three years of my life. Another block along is the high school that my younger aunts and uncles attended. “I’m home”

Yesterday we ventured out on a wee day trip. First stop was Torryburn in Fife. I was eager to visit the watery grave of Lillias Adie. Lillias was from Torryburn and in 1704 was accused of being a witch. The time frame is really towards the end of the frenzied witch trials. Lillias was accused of being a witch by another local woman, Jean Bizet. Lillias was taken to the local minister and subsequently imprisoned. After a month of intense interrogation, sleep deprivation and other torturous activities, Lillias confessed to being a witch. Lillias died before her trial, therefore she couldn’t be convicted. However she has “confessed” albeit under duress. 

Taking no chances, the decision was made to bury Lillias on the beach, at the high water mark. This leaves Lillias between this world and the nether world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment