Pages

Monday 16 March 2020

CANCELLATION OF MAY 2020 TOURS


We are living in extraordinary times. Extraordinary. I don't alarm when it comes to disease. I read, I listen, I study. I have a well informed understanding of how viruses work. This one is working as it should, but the depth and breadth of it is unprecedented. It is being compared to the Spanish Flu and Polio in terms of the impact on a global level.

I am still not alarmed. But boy have I been sobered. Listening to and reading from an ICU doctor in Italy say he had to decide whose life was worth saving because there simply weren't enough resources to save everyone.

Reading and watching the UK government's plans to switch a car manufacturing plant over to making ventilators. And how they have asked hotels to be on standby to convert to hospitals should the need become overwhelming for existing hospitals.

Listening to people in Europe try desperately to get a flight back home. 48 hours on hold on the phone. Airlines not answering. Online being asked to pay in excess of $5000 for a one way trip that was direct and didn't go through any of the countries currently on lock down. People unsure they will get home and not sure where they are going to stay if they end up being quarantined because their vacation place can't renew.

I have made the very difficult and unprecedented decision to cancel both the Edinburgh and Orkney tours that were scheduled for May 2020. It is incumbent on me to ensure that other's don't need to risk their health and well being to go on a research tour. 

I hope that by September, we will be living in a state of new normal that will allow the September tours to carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment