Saturday, 14 June 2014

Leanach Cottage, Culloden Battlefield

 


This is the Leanach Cottage on Culloden Battlefield. This is the only building remaining from the time of the battle. It continued to be occupied up until 1912. The cottage did have barns, but they were burned down by government forces when 30 or so Jacobites who had been wounded but not killed were found seeking refuge in the barns. The gov't forces barricaded the men in the barns and set the barns alight, killing the men and razing the barns to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment